Thursday, February 14, 2008

Crow Feathers Shop - Blackstone, Mass.


Last night I found out about a small shop in a barn in Blackstone, Ma. Called "Crow
Feathers". Here's how the owner, homeschooling mom Jeannine Manzola, describes it: " It's a combination of bulk herbs, herbal products I make, and salvaged things I find here and there. It has a bit of everything, including hand crafted furniture my husband makes and walking
sticks from the homeschooling family up the street. I also carry heirloom organic seeds and garden stuff in the spring. The name Crow Feathers came about because I was getting in touch with my Cherokee roots," Jeannine explains. "My Grandfather on my father's side was Cherokee, as was my Great Grandmother on my mother's side.

This lady's pretty amazing. I have not met her yet, but when I found out some of the things she's involved in, I could tell she is someone special. She's got a large house in Maine, a former tavern built in 1804, that she's turning into a retreat called The Bloomin' Lupine. She's also involved with some other local homeschooling moms in helping to establish a farmers market arrangement at a renovated, very "green," mill site in Whitinsville, Mass. to feature local artisans, crafters, and farmers. (Some of these homeschooling mothers are amazing. Where do they--we--find the time? As the old saying goes, "if you want something done, ask a busy person.")

Anyway, The Crow Feathers shop is located at 26 Chestnut Street, Blackstone, MA. They're open by chance or by appointment, and the phone number is (508) 883-1033 or (508) 330-1636.

No comments: