Friday, August 21, 2009

Teeny tiny farmers market - The Flower Cart

In Worcester, not far from what I call "the airport mountain" is a little flower store called The Flower Cart. Now, I never buy flowers, so I have been driving by this little shop for years. But last night we pulled into the parking lot and went in. Why?? I saw a sign in their window saying "farmers market."

I was very intrigued, as The Flower Cart is a cute little storefront squished in between an insurance company and something else. How can it be a farmers market, I wondered.

When I went inside my question was answered. A flower shop like many others, but made different by the bins of fresh produce at the front. Just like a mini farmers market indeed! It turns out that the owners have their own gardens, and they added some other stuff (corn, I think) from another nearby farm.

What makes this noteworthy for me is that we recently lost our second car, and my husband often needs our car for work. That means getting to farmers' markets is even harder for me now, as they usually take place during the day. Some have later hours, but are too far away given our schedule. But now that I know about The Flower Cart, I know that when my husband brings home the car, I can zip over there (they're open till 5:30 pm) and get nice fresh local veggies! I am thrilled.

Here's the info you will need:
They are located at 1405 Main Street, Worcester, MA 01603. Do you know where the Friendly's is on Route 9 as you're headed out toward Leicester? Well it's kiddy-corner from that. Their phone number is (508) 421-6631. You can even give them a call to see what they're selling ...something you can't do with a regular farmers' market. They are open 10 am to 5:30 pm on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They'll also be open Sundays later in the year.

According to their business card they also offer "Seasonal Flowers & Gifts - Gift Baskets & More" More, indeed! :-)

3 comments:

{un}Veiled Vows said...

Hi - I just found your site from a google search on flower markets in Worcester. I live in San Diego but am from the Worcester area orginally and am getting married there next summer. We're doing all the flowers ourselves and were just going to buy a bunch of local/seasonal flowers from the neighborhood. If you know any other good marts like this I would love to know! Thanks!

Jen Niles said...

Thanks for your comment. I never buy flowers even though I love them. However, it occurred to me (since you said "local/seasonal") that you might find some help at this site:
http://www.localharvest.org/

I know they are for produce & all that, but if you search around on the site, maybe they have farms that grow flowers! In any case it is a terrific web site.

Best of luck, and congratulations on your wedding.

sherri said...

Definitely smart to do your own flowers. I used to work for a florist and you can save a lot of money that way. You can also find some great design ideas online and dseign them yourselves.