Saturday, December 15, 2007

A different kind of shopping season

I never thought I'd say this, but I am having fun shopping for Christmas. Traditionally, I've been a Scrooge. Maybe it comes from my days in retail, or the fact that I am still in the business of making and selling gifts; after all, I am usually too busy right up until the last minute trying to work, then a mad rush to pack and mail all the out of state gifts before my lateness causes the postage to cost more than the gifts themselves. Or maybe it stems from my lack of money or all of the above. But this season has been different.

I had already thought about buying local and buying handmade, but after taking the BuyHandmade.org pledge, I felt a greater sense of obligation to follow through. Every step of the way I have been watching what I am doing. I ask myself, is this from a faraway company or a chain store, and can it be bought closer to home? Can the picture be framed by the local mom & pop rather than the big craft store chain that keeps sending me coupons?

Yesterday I needed to buy something for my family in the midwest. I usually go to the mall, but not this year. I called up a friend who I know makes great, affordable home decor items out of felt and fabric. She hand-sews them and sometimes even uses wool from her very own sheep on some of the details. She said sure, come on over, and I got to shop in the comfort of her dining room and pick out gifts for three people. (Heartfelt Designs by Trish - www.HeartFeltbyTrish.com)

For the kids, I went to my local art supply store, C.C. Lowell (www.cclowell.com) where there is the most amazing selection of not only fine art supplies but creative gifts of all kinds. It's a fantastic place to shop! Not only that, the customer service is top notch. Since we're regular customers, they know our names & have watched my little son grow up, chat and interact with him when he comes in, the whole bit.

Throughout the little shopping trips like this, I've really felt good about what I am doing. It makes the whole shopping experience much more enjoyable. And for me, that's really saying something!

No comments: