Saturday, March 21, 2009

Keeping "Main Street" alive

I took the pledge over at "10percentshift.org" the other day. It's an organization designed to encourage us to shift 10% of our spending over to businesses in our town or area, to revitalize the local economy. So instead of buying beads at Michaels Crafts, I can get them at Tatnuck Bead. And instead of running to Stop & Shop or Price Chopper for my coffee last night, I went to little Santy's Superette on Chandler Street. (Have you ever tried Goya espresso coffee? Whee!) And for bulk spices, there is no place I'd rather go than Ed Hyder's Meditarranean Market. And why go to Petco for cat food when I can get terrific, healthy cat food at Pet Barn (of Worcester & Holden) !

Thanks to Worcester City Councilor Kate Toomey for bringing this organization to my attention. I know there are other local business groups, like Worcester Local First, which my friend Cliff at Framed in Tatnuck belongs to.

Woo hoo! Buy local!

No comments: